As wine connoisseurship evolves, I look toward developing ways to express the aspects of wine I love the most. I recognize that wine is a product of nature and science; my goal is as natural as can be: to help make the connection between joy of taste and the bountiful pleasures of life.”

bebeosage@comcast.net

Sunday, March 22, 2009

udder delights in West midtown





These days ive been helping out over at Ecco in midtown and my hours of professional service have been drastically altered. The one most tangible and impactful social repercussion of this change is a result of modification to my daily commute. No longer do I pass Octane coffee lounge two, three or even four times a day. If im lucky, ..and if I have the time, ill stop by on Friday morning or deliberately plan and hold one of my meetings for the week there as a way to improve my chances of getting what I believe to be one of the best if not “the” best coffee experience anywhere in metro Atlanta.

This past Friday I swung in for a meeting with a wine importer. Arriving early for a meeting at Octane ive found enables the opp for a solid but brief convo with any number of folks..whether employee or patron…im convinced that if there were some sort of gigantic roof mounted digital potentiometer that counted the combined IQ points of all the folks in the shop at any given time, passers by would soon realize that there is some really speedy synapse firing going down , righteous convo ,promising plans and brilliant intentions forming at an above average pace. I think it’s a good space to hang out if you actually have time to hang…right…surround yourself with this sort of scene and some of it just might rub off right? ..or that’s my plan anyways..so,.. Danielle was at the counter as the espresso mistress… sending her typical rippling shockwaves of good vibes and buoyant spirit throughout the joint. I asked her to make a cappuccino ( I normally just drink regular coffee). Apart from the physical beauty of the drink, I noticed that the froth had a certain density enough to prompt me to spend some moments prior to tasting just, carefully dipping, prodding and mushing the creamy head around with the back side of my demitasse spoon. The foam/froth clung to my spoon, the aromatics equally shared by the intense toastyness and sweet nutty fresh fragrance from the perfectly warmed milk prompted a convo about the milk itself. After a sip, my sense that the milk was special was justly confirmed as something about its taste,…something richer but not just In a raw fatty way,…something deeper but not in a creamy way, something more complex but not in a herbaceous way,…shone through and sent my memory recoil back to the days of yore where my hippie parents would routinely barter with the local BMW mechanic/ Jersey Cow Farmer/ College Professor for what if my memory serves me was a rinsed out restaurant sized Hellmann’s mayonnaise jar brimming with fresh, totally raw, totally unprocessed, cows milk. The flavor was like that stuff …even though it was homogenized and pasteurized and didn’t have that layer of crème floating on the surface, it was noticeably better than what I have at home now or what I can recall drinking or tasting as of late. So, ..my mount Zion of warm beverage for the week…..A cappuccino made by Danielle,….at Octane Coffee Lounge,
using …….Sparkmans Milk http://www.sparkmanscreamvalley.com/about-us/why-youll-love-sparkmans

Holla

No comments: